The new Sidel StarLite PET bottle base for still drinks offers more bottle-base stability and resistance, resistance to extreme temperatures (hot and cold), lightweighting possibilities, energy savings, design flexibility.
The new Sidel StarLite PET bottle base for still drinks offers more bottle-base stability and resistance, resistance to extreme temperatures (hot and cold), lightweighting possibilities, energy savings, design flexibility. Without compromising on the bottle integrity or the safety standards of the still beverage inside. The Sidel StarLite base is especially suited for water and juices, and under certain conditions can also be used for other still beverages. Incorporated into different bottle designs. It can be applied to existing bottle designs or retrofitted to existing production lines, using Sidel's accompanying StarLite base moulds. Used for all Sidel blowing platforms and output speeds, including the new Sidel Matrix™ system for liquid packaging, and the following filling solutions: regular, ultra clean and aseptic. It can be used with nitrogen drop technology (up to 0.8 bars nitrogen blowing pressure), which further increases opportunities for lightweighting.
The Sidel StarLite bottle base utilises two proprietary PET design innovations:
- Edge Beam™, which is a specific groove structure that improves base stiffness
- Smart Disc™, a disc structure that reinforces the base to prevent deformation.
Both innovations have been designed and tested by Sidel packaging experts, using proprietary bottle-validation technology to increase rigidity in the base and reduce plastic use. The base design can be adapted to all Sidel blowing platforms, and applied to existing production lines. The base is especially suited for water and juices, and under certain conditions can also be used for other still beverages.
- This design of the base provides more bottle-base stability and resistance : An increase in top-load dent resistance of up to 30% when the bottle is on a pallet, and up to a 55% increase in side-load resistance when the bottle is on a conveyor or in a vending machine, for example. Overall pallet integrity also increased by up to 50% during transportation.
- More resistance to extreme temperatures: Making it especially useful for storage in harsh conditions: Up to 25 days without bottle deformation in 50°C conditions, and up to a 50% decrease in base rollout under frozen conditions
- More lightweighting possibilities: PET savings of up to 1 gram for a 0.5 litre bottle (equivalent to EUR 350,000 cost savings per year*), and up to 2 grams for a 1.5 litre bottle (equivalent to EUR 700,000 cost savings per year*).
- More energy savings: For 0.5-1.0 litre bottles, only 16-20 bars of pressure were required for blowing, versus up to 25 bars previously. This means a reduction of up to 25% in air pressure, which can result in a cost saving of up to EUR90,000 per year.
- More design flexibility: The StarLite base is also compatible with nitrogen drop technology, meaning that lightweighting can be pushed further. Furthermore, if the bottle pressure generated by the nitrogen dosing is 0.8 bar or under, StarLite can replace the traditional mini-petaloide base, usually associated with carbonated soft drinks in the mind of consumers.