This is our blog and we would keep you updated about the latest things happening at www.packagingconnections.com through this. You are most welcome to share your comments openly so that all the visitors can benefit and we can also improve. We are trying to create Your Destination for Anything in Packaging (TM). This can happen only through your continuous support and feedback. We look forward to hear from you all the time. Just in case, you are not able to comment through this for any reason then kindly email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call to actions are very important elements in packaging design and it is the best way to get the accurate information from the end user. Call to actions encourages the end user to do something like leaving feedback, participating in surveys or to find more information about your products.
Call to actions must be compelling, benefit oriented and usually you can add small graphics which narrates what you wanting them to perform. Most important thing is don’t put too many call to actions on your packaging design.
Important elements need to consider while embedding calls to actions on your packaging design
- Placement: Your call to action must be placed in the area where user first glance happens. For example near to price details or near to product details or near to discount offers etc.,
- Size and Shape: Need to design by considering your target audience age group
- Color: It should stand out from the package and should be eye catchy
- Text: Should attract to end user. Using punch lines is better way
Benefits from call to actions on your packaging design
- You can get the end user feedback as well as their expectations. This helps to innovate, enhance and optimize your packaging designs
- You can increase traffic and user engagement of your landing or targeted page. This increase visibility of your other products too
- You can increase your targeted audience database. By this you can directly connect with your customers
- Also call to actions helps in increasing your sales especially for window shoppers
With the developments, enhancements, optimizations taking place in packaging designs rapidly the future of packaging designs are more relevant, accurate and more importantly presentation of the packaging design is undoubtedly continue to change.
“Packaging becomes more powerful media between consumers and brand owners. As packaging sits in cup boards, living rooms, bath rooms, bedrooms and every corner of the house”
At the same time never bombard too much information on customer with complex design. Packaging design should be as simple as possible with accurate information of the product & branding. Your packaging design is path to purchase, this rule followed by many smart brands.
After some extent, packaging designs will take technological representation as their main agenda. Only technological development in packaging design can increase customer connectivity at the same time your loyal customer database. Customer database is very important factor in defining your business strategies.
Packaging and Branding teams have to work together to make successful campaigns. Packaging design is no longer about making things stylish or beautiful; it’s all about growth in sales or business. Packaging designers need to consider elements like customer experiences etc., Packaging design would be in simple words “less about selling and more about narrating quality”
As a packaging technologist we are aware of this kind of packaging. But most of us are aware of only few options that can make a pack tamper evident. But first we need to see, why this tamper evident feature is of utmost importance for pharmaceutical packaging?
As per AMG – German Pharmaceutical Products Act, pharmaceuticals for human use must have security features, as well as the possibility to detect potential tampering, on their outer packaging.
The AMG also defines “Falsified Medicine” as product containing false information concerning it’s-
1. Identity, packaging, name or composition relating to one or several ingredients, including additives and the content of these ingredients,
2. Origin, including the manufacturer, country of manufacture, country of origin and owner of commercialization approval or
3. The distribution channel described in records and documents.
This definition extends the traditional term of a falsification as a brand and/or patent infringement and significantly expands the protection rights to include the prerequisites of GMP/GDP conformance.
To identify a falsified medicine, EU has defined a standard to describe tamper verification features for outer packaging as-
1. “Security features which make it possible for wholesalers and persons who are empowered or authorized to dispense medicines to the public to verify the authenticity of the medicine and to identify single packs
2. As well as a device which makes it possible to check if the outer packaging has been tampered with.”
There are various options for providing tamper evident seals that includes-
- Glue Dots
- Folding Construction
- Self Adhesive Seals
- Penetration Indicators
- Tearing Fibres
- Void effect
- Other sealing techniques such as film wraps, blisters and sleeves today are playing only a minor part in secondary packaging of pharmaceuticals.
You can find the detailed description on these options through this interesting article –
Today life is more varied with demographics and preferences are more complex. Packaging innovations are continues to evolve with respect to the customer needs. Innovative packaging always first choice for the end user if that come for lesser or same price what he is paying for that same product, but this is biggest challenge for the brand owners.
Upon availability of different innovative packaging in products, end user expectations are increasing. Indirectly end user forcing brand owners towards innovative packaging. This also affects the cost of the packaging materials and as well as packaging machines due to increase in demand. To meet the demands of packaging industries, innovation/invention of high speed packaging machines are mandatory.
"Packaging innovation should not compromise on the quality of the product because quality is the main connection factor between end user and brand owner."
Every research analysis shows that end user satisfaction is the biggest challenge for the packaging industries. Most importantly packaging industries always need to have the details of the brands which were rejected by the consumers because of bad packaging.
Market research analysis, competitor analysis, online & offline surveys helps to greater extent in achieving successful packaging innovations.
Packaging innovation is the continuous task for the food manufacturers. 70 to 80% of purchase decisions are made at the point of sale. Always need to follow buyer trends, demands and these are challenging factors for brand owners. Consumer demands and their personal fulfillment is driving food packaging industries. Food packaging need to assure our products to protect, preserve and sustain to atmospheric conditions. Packaging plays very important role as that is the only factor differentiates between two same products in store.
These are the few tips in making food packaging design
- Need to conduct some marketing research analysis, this gives us real and rich data of the consumer behavior
- Always reach your loyal consumer database about their expectation of the packaging of our product (This applies to already emerged companies)
- By conduction marketing surveys with reputed agencies
- Survey should conduct among the online as well as offline communities
- Follow the latest trends like “selfie” (Self-opening, Self-closing, Self-closing etc.,), modified atmosphere packaging etc.,
- Focus on changing consumer habits, personalized packaging, people pleasing packaging etc.,
- Most importantly competitor analysis, have close eye on your top competitors and their innovations, failures, success
- Always have some call to actions on your packaging with that it builds your loyal consumer data base
Packaging plays very important role in marketing and it is the medium between the company and end user. Your packaging spend should be 8 to 10% of the total cost average. The average consumer spends just few seconds in making decision whether to buy your product or not, so your packaging design need to design for targeted users with targeted message.
Always have these questions in mind
- Who is going to buy your product?
- What is their language?
- What kinds of colours and designs are most successful to that demographic area?
- Are the buyers primarily male or female?
- Will they come from younger or old age bracket?
- Is it easy to use or handle?
Packaging designers struggle for several years in making packaging easy to use targeted users. But still they have challenges like
- Child proof
- Recycling and reusability
- Supply chain
- Environmental effects
- Cost efficiency
- Brand promotion
In order to design, we really need to understand the product which it has to contain. Most important thing is to know product and its function then need to design our packaging in a way to deliver our branding.
Every business has to focus on Marketing as well as on Innovation. Here we are talking especially about packaging industry. Packaging is the ultimate marketing tool for any product. For retail industry packaging can be a major metric for defining success. If you can launch your product with a very innovative design it gets noticed in very less time. Innovative design also helps in brand promotion too.
Spend extra time on packaging part which helps your marketing campaign too. Your quality packaging conveys the quality of your product. In modern days people more keen on look and feel of the packaging. At the same time your product packaging should be easy to handle and sustainable too.
- It should not be too big or too small
- It should fit to any retail outlet
- It should be easy to open
Targeted Customers: Define, understand & innovate
To make your packaging innovative you need to have very close eye on your competitors. Generally for packaging design you need to keep interests, hobbies and age group of your targeted customers. For younger generation packaging should be fun, eye catchy, for middle age group should be decent & fun and for older people usability is very important thing.
Potential Areas: Identify, Execute & Measure
When you have innovative packaging for your product next you need to identify the potential areas. Here you need to go with some innovative ideas to market your product. Run partnership marketing campaigns.
Its an interesting book that i read many years back. It talks about the familiar sayings and their meanings. This reminds me that for we packaging technologists, the life is not different. If I try to explain the meaning of book from packaging technologists' point of view, its:
1. Lock: Tamper evidence
2. Stock: Material options and availabillty
3. Barrel: Its the real container where the complete packaging technology is built up
So here in this article, now we will try to give you more meanings about the popular words in packaging and we also expect you to add your familiar packaging sayings here for the benefit of entire packaging community.
Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement. Those who initiate change will have a better opportunity to manage the change that is inevitable.
Do we have Innovation DNA to initiate the change which is inevitable?
As per a recent GII (Global Innovation Index) study of 143 countries. The theme for this year’s GII is the ‘Human Factor in Innovation’. The importance of both individual and collective efforts of creators and scientists in the innovation process has been well documented in the literature. Topping the ranks is Switzerland, followed by UK and Sweden. USA at 6, Korea at 16, India at 76.
There is lot to do on innovations and companies across the globe need to gear up and take innovation with more zeal to bring path breakers and Game changer.
We all are just back from on of the biggest innovation shows for packaging Interpack 2014. We invite you all to share your creative DNA with the world and be part of the change. Please send us your innovations, with description and a high resolution picture and we will feature it our Interpack 2014 Innovation report. If you can send samples we would be happy to receive them.
Look forward to your contribution to make a change!
Read the complete GII report: http://www.packagingconnections.com/global-innovation-index-2014.htm
To know more about us:
Corporate presentation – http://www.slideshare.net/pconnections/corporate-profile-presentation-packaging-connections
Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpYkPNNc_xQ&feature=youtu.be
Video 2 http://youtu.be/NpgvF5I24RI
Thank you and Enjoy the Wonders Of Packaging!
Associate – Scientific Affairs & Consultancy
Hello Packaging Friends,
" Ideally a book should not be judged by its cover, but ironically an attractive cover is what makes you pick it up in the first place "
In an era where packaging has evolved from being a mere activity of putting goods in a box to becoming a core business vertical supporting critical businesses worldwide, the need for an unified platform catering to a variety of packaging needs was inevitable.
Pioneering in this direction, we present a world of unlimited options, the world of packagingconnections.com – a one click destination for the A to Z in packaging.
In addition to a wide spectrum of custom online services, consulting projects, e books, e learning, packaging KPO, Content marketing, 24×7 access to packaging knowledge portal, nurturing alliances & business support to foreign players we are now excited to launch our another vertical – VIRTUAL EMAIL CONSULTING.
Considering sustainability by reducing carbon footprints being generated on account of business travels, we have launched this model wherein we will provide consulting through emails.
Our experience also supports the fact that consulting can happen virtually also minimizing the travels. Under this vertical we will provide following services: