This is our blog and we would keep you updated about the latest things happening at www.packagingconnections.com through this. You are most welcome to share your comments openly so that all the visitors can benefit and we can also improve. We are trying to create Your Destination for Anything in Packaging (TM). This can happen only through your continuous support and feedback. We look forward to hear from you all the time. Just in case, you are not able to comment through this for any reason then kindly email to email@example.com
Active packaging is defined as packaging in which subsidiary constituent have been deliberately include in or on either the packaging material or the package headspace to enhance the performance of package system( Robertson, 2006). This phrase emphasizes the importance of deliberately including a substance with the intention of enhancing the food product. Active packaging is an extension of the protection function of a package and is commonly used to protect against oxygen and moisture.
Active packaging performs some desired role other than to provide an inert barrier between the product and the outside environment. It sometimes referred to as interactive or “smart” packaging, is intended to sense internal or external environmental change and to respond by changing its own properties or attributes and hence the internal package environment. The active component may be part of the packaging material or may be an insert or attachment to the inside of the pack.
Active packaging can enable the properties of the package to more adequately meet the requirements of the product. Therefore, the forms and applications of active packaging are diverse, addressing specific situations in the protection and presentation of foods and other products.
The tinplate can, for instance, provides a sacrificial layer of tin that protects the food from accumulation of catalytically active iron salts. Antioxidant release from waxed-paper packs for Breakfast cereals have been used, as has been the impregnation of cheese wraps with sorbic acid. Sachets of iron powder have been described as ‘‘deoxidizers,’’ ‘‘free oxygen absorbers,’’ and ‘‘oxygen scavengers’’.
Goals of Active Packaging:
Active Packaging is chosen to enhance the ability of conventional packaging to help deliver the product t used in a desired state. Active packaging system are developed with the goal of extending shelf life of the food and increasing the period of time that the food is high quality. Active packaging technologies include some Physical, chemical, or biological action which changes interactions between a package, product, and/ or headspace of package in order to get a desired outcome. The most common active The most common active systems scavenger oxygen from the package or the product and may even be activated by an outside source such as UV light.
Forms of Active Packaging
Active packaging is typically found in two types of systems; sachets and pads which are placed inside of package, and active ingredients that are incorporate directly into packaging materials.
1. Sachets and Other Inserts
- Oxygen Scavengers.
- Ethanol and Sulfur Dioxide Emitters
- Ethylene Absorbers
2. Plastic-Based Active Packaging Materials
- Moisture Control.
- Oxygen Scavenging
- Active Oxygen Barriers
- Antimicrobial Films.
- Odor Absorption (more details at-) http://www.packagingconnections.com/innovation/market-leading-odour-absorbent-meat-pads.htm
- Thermal Control
Author – Radhika Rewri
Packing connections are very important to overcome packaging industry challenges. Packaging industry challenges can be solved when all kinds of packaging companies, packaging professionals connect with each other and they should be very clear and transparent in solving any issue. Packaging connections can bring all packaging companies, packaging professionals and packaging users to one platform to address all theirs issues and challenges.
It is very difficult for any company to satisfy or meet customer expectations. Most of the cases single company cannot cover entire user expectations. Also it is like almost impossible for the small companies to spend good amount to get rich insights of changing customer behavior and their expectations. Participation of the packaging companies, packaging professionals and packaging users in packaging connections can increase the database of packaging companies, packaging professionals and packaging users. This database is always useful for small, medium and all kind of companies. Your packaging connections are the solution for all your packaging challenges.
When packaging professionals and packaging companies can work together they can solve most of the packaging industry challenges. Packaging connections are useful in increasing visibility of the packaging companies as well as packaging professionals because it accommodates both of them.
Packaging is a great science or art or both. It helps us to protect the products and to get it almost anywhere even if we are not able to travel. It has been helping us to save lives by way of protecting nd transporting the different medicines in the different parts of the world.Â But at the same time, it also has its own challenges and those challaenges can be different in different locations and different circumstances. So we would like to take about the challenges and then see if we can solve them.
So please come forward and list your packaging challenges for the benefit of everyone who is interested to find the solutions to those packaging challenges,
Most of the times it’s very difficult for the brand owners to develop effective call to actions on their packaging designs. In this article will look into some specific technologies that can help brand owners to develop a powerful call to actions.
QR code is the two dimensional barcode. This is machine readable label that contains information about your product or you can add any call to action to it. Nowadays everyone is using smart phones and most of their day to day activities are connected to their phones. If your intension is to attract the visitor to participate in any survey, that link we can add to that particular QR code of your product. Remember at the same times surveys should be very simple and effective.
You can find QR code generators here: http://goo.gl/h2ONSu
Technologies to authenticate as well to connect your customers
There are lot of technologies available in the market which can increase your brand identity, brand protection and brand promotion. By using authentication technologies you avoid counterfeits and at the same time you can directly connect with your loyal customers. These technologies can provide consumers extra facility in authenticating product at their purchase point itself.
You can find few technologies here: http://goo.gl/NSzCmT
The store window is the first thing that the visitor notices about your store. Therefore, you want to be as innovative and clear in your message for the window as you can. There exist a lot of unique options to brand your glass. We spell out a few commonly used techniques to brand your glass and the materials used in the process. You can use them in isolation or combination for your own store.
1. Vinyl cut letters: Plotter cut self-adhesive vinyl into the shape of letters, logos and messages is an age-old technique that allows you to deliver your message without obstructing the view inside the store. We have all used these to announce sales, advertise new entries and seasons changes. However, it is dull and overused.
2. Translucent prints: Digital printed translucent vinyls can be conveniently pasted on glass. They can also be cut into shape as per your artwork. The major benefit here is that you can install a large creative, maybe cover the glass edge-to-edge and also allow the customers to look what’s going on inside , behind the glass. It doesn’t make the glass appear like a wall but an entry into a new dimension of great products.
3. Opaque creatives: While translucent prints are great, they sometimes might not make as much impact as a solid opaque print would. The drawback here is that you must keep the size small so that your glass still allows inside activity to be seen. This kind of effect is achieved by printing on opaque self-adhesive vinyl (with our without a cut out) and applying it directly onto the glass.
4. Etching Vinyl: Frosted/Etching self-adhesive vinyl was created to give clear glass a frosted look. Frosting is a physical process done on glass that makes selected portions rough and opaque. This film provides the same effect quite well. The etching film can be cut into any shape and can be used to represent your brand logo or your branding message. Further, it is also printable and it gives a really unique result in terms of aesthetics.
5. One way vision: The one-way-vision/mesh printed vinyl has a mesh-like structure. The speciality of this material is that from the outside it looks like a solid print (maybe around 75% opacity) but from the inside of the store everything outside is visible. This is a great choice if you want to print large creatives and cover the whole glass. If your store is inside a mall or has a good amount of lighting inside, the opacity from outside further reduces (approximately around 50%).
Since you now know the basic tools to brand your glass, ask your design team to play around with these ideas and design something unique to accurately portray your brand and it’s ideology.
Many organizations and Start-up companies neglect spending valuable time in thinking about embedding their branding in their packaging design. Do you know the importance of branding while promoting or launching of your product? Branding goes way beyond just a logo or graphic element. Branding is directly proportional to your marketing strategy.
Your packaging design must be all about addressing customer experiences. In most of the cases brand owners don’t receive complete mileage from their packaging design because of improper research on their targeted audience. Your packaging design is medium between you and external world.
When your brand connects with your end users, it resides in their mind and heart. It’s very important to spend time on investing in defining, researching and to building your packaging design. For successful branding on your packaging design you must understand the needs and wants of your end users.
Building an effective packaging design is all about building a story that can connect your targeted audience.
A good and effective packaging design can
- Enable customers to remember your products
- Helps in brand recognition
- Sets you apart from the competition
- Generate referrals
- Build customer loyalty and lead to repeat purchases
Call to actions are very important elements in packaging design and it is the best way to get the accurate information from the end user. Call to actions encourages the end user to do something like leaving feedback, participating in surveys or to find more information about your products.
Call to actions must be compelling, benefit oriented and usually you can add small graphics which narrates what you wanting them to perform. Most important thing is don’t put too many call to actions on your packaging design.
Important elements need to consider while embedding calls to actions on your packaging design
- Placement: Your call to action must be placed in the area where user first glance happens. For example near to price details or near to product details or near to discount offers etc.,
- Size and Shape: Need to design by considering your target audience age group
- Color: It should stand out from the package and should be eye catchy
- Text: Should attract to end user. Using punch lines is better way
Benefits from call to actions on your packaging design
- You can get the end user feedback as well as their expectations. This helps to innovate, enhance and optimize your packaging designs
- You can increase traffic and user engagement of your landing or targeted page. This increase visibility of your other products too
- You can increase your targeted audience database. By this you can directly connect with your customers
- Also call to actions helps in increasing your sales especially for window shoppers
With the developments, enhancements, optimizations taking place in packaging designs rapidly the future of packaging designs are more relevant, accurate and more importantly presentation of the packaging design is undoubtedly continue to change.
“Packaging becomes more powerful media between consumers and brand owners. As packaging sits in cup boards, living rooms, bath rooms, bedrooms and every corner of the house”
At the same time never bombard too much information on customer with complex design. Packaging design should be as simple as possible with accurate information of the product & branding. Your packaging design is path to purchase, this rule followed by many smart brands.
After some extent, packaging designs will take technological representation as their main agenda. Only technological development in packaging design can increase customer connectivity at the same time your loyal customer database. Customer database is very important factor in defining your business strategies.
Packaging and Branding teams have to work together to make successful campaigns. Packaging design is no longer about making things stylish or beautiful; it’s all about growth in sales or business. Packaging designers need to consider elements like customer experiences etc., Packaging design would be in simple words “less about selling and more about narrating quality”
As a packaging technologist we are aware of this kind of packaging. But most of us are aware of only few options that can make a pack tamper evident. But first we need to see, why this tamper evident feature is of utmost importance for pharmaceutical packaging?
As per AMG – German Pharmaceutical Products Act, pharmaceuticals for human use must have security features, as well as the possibility to detect potential tampering, on their outer packaging.
The AMG also defines “Falsified Medicine” as product containing false information concerning it’s-
1. Identity, packaging, name or composition relating to one or several ingredients, including additives and the content of these ingredients,
2. Origin, including the manufacturer, country of manufacture, country of origin and owner of commercialization approval or
3. The distribution channel described in records and documents.
This definition extends the traditional term of a falsification as a brand and/or patent infringement and significantly expands the protection rights to include the prerequisites of GMP/GDP conformance.
To identify a falsified medicine, EU has defined a standard to describe tamper verification features for outer packaging as-
1. “Security features which make it possible for wholesalers and persons who are empowered or authorized to dispense medicines to the public to verify the authenticity of the medicine and to identify single packs
2. As well as a device which makes it possible to check if the outer packaging has been tampered with.”
There are various options for providing tamper evident seals that includes-
- Glue Dots
- Folding Construction
- Self Adhesive Seals
- Penetration Indicators
- Tearing Fibres
- Void effect
- Other sealing techniques such as film wraps, blisters and sleeves today are playing only a minor part in secondary packaging of pharmaceuticals.
You can find the detailed description on these options through this interesting article –
Today life is more varied with demographics and preferences are more complex. Packaging innovations are continues to evolve with respect to the customer needs. Innovative packaging always first choice for the end user if that come for lesser or same price what he is paying for that same product, but this is biggest challenge for the brand owners.
Upon availability of different innovative packaging in products, end user expectations are increasing. Indirectly end user forcing brand owners towards innovative packaging. This also affects the cost of the packaging materials and as well as packaging machines due to increase in demand. To meet the demands of packaging industries, innovation/invention of high speed packaging machines are mandatory.
"Packaging innovation should not compromise on the quality of the product because quality is the main connection factor between end user and brand owner."
Every research analysis shows that end user satisfaction is the biggest challenge for the packaging industries. Most importantly packaging industries always need to have the details of the brands which were rejected by the consumers because of bad packaging.
Market research analysis, competitor analysis, online & offline surveys helps to greater extent in achieving successful packaging innovations.